- The school was built in 1958. A lot of our current students have parents that attended this school.
- There are approximately 415 students from about 300 families:
- We have 3 classes for each grade level.
- K-2 approx. 20 students per class
- 3-5 approx. 25 students per class
- Almost 70% of the students live within the school boundaries.
- Our CSAP scores rank among the highest for elementary schools in the district, only second to the Challenge School.
- Over 67% of our staff has a graduate degree. Greenwood has a very senior staff, with an average of 16 years in teaching, many with 20 years or more.
- We have a 97% daily attendance rate for students.
All grades rotate through our Specials classes: Art, Music, PE, Media and Technology on a weekly basis.
- The music program provides grade-level plays, a Grandparent’s Day celebration and a choir program.
- Our PE provides before school intramurals for grades 2-5.; We also hold Field Days for all grades in the spring.
- Our Technology Lab is well equipped and upgraded regularly with money provided through many PTCO fundraisers. The students go to the computer lab on a weekly basis and we also have two mobile computer labs with over 25 laptops each, which are rotated throughout the classrooms. The students learn about internet safety, Power Point presentations, I-movies, graphics design, and Everyday Math programs during their lab work.
- Our Art room has a kiln and the students work in a wide variety of mediums to create artwork that ties into their classroom curriculum work. Much of it is displayed throughout the school hallways.
Our special services for students include:
- The primary Reading Center, where students grades K-2 are evaluating and provided additional individualized reading help.
- Gifted & Talented (G/T) where children who are identified as advanced in math and reading go for challenge work. The G/T teacher also supports 3-5 grades with our science program.
- We also have a Social Worker and Psychologist who work part-time in our building. They work with the classroom teachers on our Bully Proofing program and also work with individual students.
PTCO sponsored Clubs include Chess Club, Art Club and Running Club.
We also offer before & after school care through Bear Club. This is more than “babysitting”, there are also many clubs such as cooking, science, homework club, art, volleyball, construction & games, etc. that students can participate in through Bear Club.
Definitions related to Enrolling:
Kindergarten Round-Up-The time frame for signing up incoming Kindergartners, usually February 1st-the end of March. The District website or CCSD office can give specific information on those dates.
School of Choice- SOC is for people who live in the CCSD boundaries.
And want to choose a school that is different than their neighborhood school. The enrollment dates for SOC are between mid-Nov. and the end of January. Once a student is in the SOC they cannot be bumped out.
Intra-District- Someone who lives in the CCSD boundaries (like SOC) but they didn’t register during the specific time period.
Non Resident- Someone who doesn’t live in the CCSD boundaries. They need to reapply every year for enrollment. The sign-up is usually in April but families should call the district mid-March to find out the dates.
Be sure to also check out the Cherry Creek School District for more information.